Detroit Steel Corporation stock certificate 1960's (Michigan)
Tough to find steel company certificate. Great vignette of classical figure seated on an anvil in front of steel mills. Issued and cancelled. Dated in the 1960's (varies).
Established in 1923, Detroit Steel was founded by Anthony Bodde. in 1950, the company had over $90 million in sales. The company had plants in Detroit MI, Portsmouth OH, and New Haven CT. its Reliance Steel division had operations in Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, and New Haven. The company was bought by Cleveland Cliffs Iron Company in 1970, who later sold the company assets to the Cyclops Corporation.
One of the company’s primary plants was located in Portsmouth, Ohio and was purchased from the Portsmouth Steel Corporation. The Norfolk and Western supplied its coke plant with coal. The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad ran a small single-track line off of the main through Jackson and Scioto Counties to supply the plant with iron ore. Some coal and ore were delivered by barge from the Ohio River.
The plant was one of the last major steel plants in the United States to build large open hearths. It had two blast furnaces, a coke plant and open hearths. It once had a cold and hot strip mill, nail mill, fence plant, and billet mill. During World War II it was one of the largest plants in the U.S. to produce bomb casings.