Eastern Sugar Associates stock certificate 1952 (Puerto Rico sugar)
Cool sugar stock certificate collectible. Nice vignette of an American Eagle with wings spread and perched on a rock outcrop. Issued and cancelled. Dated 1952.
Eastern Sugar Associates grew out of the reorganization of the United Porto Rico Sugar Co. in 1934. It controlled the Santa Juana, Defensas, Juncos, Cayes, and Pasta Viejo sugar mills. It was formed to circumvent the legislation (500 acre farm limits) by acting as a holding company for partnerships which owned or held land in the name of individuals. Eastern Sugar held sugar reserves and sold to Coca-Cola in the 1940's.
The name was changed in 1958 to Fajardo Eastern Sugar Associates (after buying the Fajardo Sugar Company) which merged into the Brewer Company in 1961.