Holly Beach Realty Company stock certificate 1960's
Nice collectible cert from Holly Beach, NJ (now Wildwood). Great eagle vignette in the same green as the certificate border. Unissued. Circa 1960's. Cool item for Jersey shore beach house.
Holly Beach City was the original name of the middle section of the island known as 5 Mile Beach. It was incorporated in 1884 and consolidated with the Borough of Wildwood to form the City of Wildwood in 1912. Holly Beach is now a part of the famed Wildwood, NJ beach town:
The story of modern Wildwood and her sister communities began in 1880, the result of a man's concern for his wife's health. Sarah Andrews became ill in Vineland and the doctor advised her husband, Aaron, to take her to Townsend's Inlet to recuperate. There they became friends of the Joseph Taylor family of Philadelphia. Both families returned the following year, determined to acquire seashore homes. John Burke, a real estate salesman from Vineland, brought them to look at a tract of land in the center of Five Mile Beach.
Impressed, the trio joined with Nelson Robert, Latimer Baker, and Robert Young to form the Holly Beach City Improvement Co., and in 1885 Holly Beach Borough was incorporated.
Philip Pontius Baker had accompanied his brother, Latimer, to Five Mile Beach in 1881 and he, too, was impressed. As Holly Beach developed, Philip and Latimer, together with a third brother, J. Thompson Baker, organized the Wildwood Beach Improvement Co., to develop the Wales-Physick Tract, just north of Holly Beach. Their dream led to incorporation of the Borough of Wildwood in 1895. Seventeen years later, in 1912, Holly Beach and Wildwood consolidated as the City of Wildwood.
In 1905, after Wildwood began to grow, Philip Baker purchased the land south of Holly Beach and named it Wildwood Crest. The community was incorporated as a borough in 1910. West Wildwood, the "baby" of the four sister communities, was incorporated as a borough in 1920.