Peerless Motor Car Corporation stock certificate 1930
Desirable automotive stock certificate with detailed scene of man, woman, industrial scene, bee hive, and train in the distance. Incorporated in Virginia with a factory in Cleveland, Ohio which was later converted to a brewery in 1934, producing Carling Black Label beer.
In 1900, the Peerless Motor Car Company began production of a one cylinder Motorette, prior to 1900 the company had built clothes wringers and bicycles. The Cleveland based company rose to prominence as a premiere car builder and automotive innovator. Peerless was the first company to adopt what would become the standard of automobile design, a front mounted engine driving the rear wheels through a solid drive shaft. This design is still used extensively.
The company concentrated on sporty racesters at first, and then transformed themselves into one of the premier luxury car makers in the country. The rich appointments of each new Peerless model drew raves through 1915. In 1916, Cadillac introduced a V-8, Peerless not to be out done, soon followed with its own. This, however, marked the end of Peerless’ automotive innovations. By 1924, the company was out of the top end motor car market. A new slogan was adopted, which signaled the end “Now There’s a Peerless for Everyone.”
Prior to 1915, Peerless was known for its extreme mechanical precision. Critical mechanical parts were made of extremely durable chrome-nickel steel. The chrome-nickel pistons and rods were weighed and balanced to within hundredths of an ounce.
By the late 1920’s the depression had taken its toll on all the luxury cars makers. By the mid 1930’s Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg, and Pierce-Arrow were all gone. In June of 1931, the last production car rolled off the assembly line. Any cars that hadn’t been sold by the end of 1931 were marketed as 1932 models.