United Park City Mines Company stock certificate 1950's (Utah mining)
Great mining collectible. Beautiful vignette of classical male and female figures flanking an oval framed underground mining scene with miner. Issued and cancelled. Dated 1950's.
In 1953, United Park City Mines Company was formed by consolidation of the Silver King Coalition Mines Company and Park Utah Consolidated Mines Company. By the 1960s, more than 90 percent of the district properties were owned by United Park City Mines Company and New Park Mining Company. In 1970, The Anaconda Company and ASARCO formed Park City Ventures and leased all mining properties of United Park City Mines Company in the district. By mid April 1957, United Park City Mines owned 91 percent of Daly Mining Company, and a special stockholders meeting was scheduled for May for a proposed merger. The merger would unify ownership of the Ontario Drain Tunnel No. 2 by eliminating large numbers of leases and operating agreements.
United Park City Mines Company was incorporated in Utah on May 13, 1953, with Anaconda and American Smelting, Refining & Mining Company having controlling interest. The two companies each had two directors, of a total of seven directors of the joint venture. From 1953 through 1970, the focus was on mining, with a small side line of a small resort developed in late 1963, that included nineteen ski runs, an aerial gondola, a ski lift, and a nine-hole golf course.
United Park City Mines remained in the mining business, through the leasing of its mines until August 1985, when they sold their mining interests, and became a real estate development company operating in the Park City district. In February 2002, United Park City Mines Company was purchased by Capitol Growth Partners, a Utah real estate developer.