Birmingham, East Birmingham & South Pittsburgh Gas Company stock certificate circa 1856
Beautiful collectible stock certificate with multiple vignette - factory scenes as the central engraving, with triple vignette on the left side to include Lady Justice, a blacksmith, and a man holding an axe. Unissued and not cancelled. Circa 1856 from issued examples. Dated 18__ on the certificate. Rare clean piece from this company.
Incorporated 1856 in Birmingham PA, the company was authorized to distribute gas in Pittsburgh, South of the Ohio and Monogahela rivers. The company was re-incorporated in 1871 as the South Side Gas Company (a simpler name, for sure). It is unclear if the company was engaged in the natural gas industry or produced gas for lighting. South Side Gas was affiliated with several lighting and illumination companies in and around Pittsburgh.