Frankford and Southwark Passenger Railroad Company stock certificate 1908 (Philadelphia)
Nice streetcar collectible. Very nice left side vignette af a female angel figure standing on a railcar wheel and holding lightning bolts. Issued and cancelled. Old yellowing tape in the bottom borders. Dated 1908.
The Frankford & Southwark Philadelphia City Railroad was chartered in 1858 by Act of Assembly to take over the Philadelphia and Delaware Railroad. It was the first real passenger street railway in Philadelphia, serving the citizens of the city. In 1863, it began using steam-driven engines, called "dummies" because the route was too long for horses. It was also known as the 5th and 6th Street Lines.
In May, 1857, the Philadelphia and Delaware River Railroad was chartered, giving the right to build a road from Philadelphia to Frankford, upon which cars drawn by horses could be used. Horse cars were in use from January 8, 1858, to November 17, 1863, when the Frankford and Southwark Passenger Railway introduced "dummies" which ran from the depot, Fourth and Berks Streets, to Frankford. The first was called the Alpha, and the second the Sea Gull.
As other cars were added, they were called No. 1, 2, etc. The engine was on one side, and the boiler, an upright one, was on the other side, with the engineer sitting between them, not a choice seat in midsummer. These "dummies" with trailer attached seated 64 passengers. The trailers (old horse cars) had additional seats on the roof. A spiral ladder made of light iron was hooked on the rear of the car. On April 1 1892 the Frankford and Southwark (Fifth and Sixth) Passenger Railway Company took possession of the Tenth and Eleventh (Citizens Line) Passenger Railway Company. The company adopted electric streetcars as a result.