Nashville and Decatur Rail Road Co stock certificate 1976
Great double vignette - old steam train at the top and a unique female figure toting a bundle of wheat. Nice older design for a modern certificate. Issued and cancelled. Dated 1976.
Incorporated 1867 in Nashville TN, this is a modern resurrection of an old L&N line. Uncommon piece from a rarely seen company.
The railroad of the Nashville and Decatur Railroad Company, herein called the Nashville and Decatur, likewise leased to and operated by the Louisville and Nashville, is a partly double-track, standard-gage line located in the States of Tennessee and Alabama, extending southerly from Nashville, Tenn., to Decatur Junction, Ala., a distance of 119 miles, of which 0.020 mile is jointly owned with another carrier, and southerly from the Tennessee-Alabama State line to Athens, Ala., a distance of 14 miles. The road is double-tracked between Nashville and Brentwood, Tenn., about 10 miles, and Athens and Decatur Junction, Ala., about 13 miles.
The road owned by the Nashville and Decatur, 133 miles, has been acquired by consolidation and construction. The years in which the various portions of the line were constructed and the manner in which the Nashville and Decatur acquired the property, are indicated in the following table:
Acquired in the consolidation of Nov. 21, 1866:
~ From the Tennessee and Alabama Rail Road Company, constructed by that company, Nashville to Mount Pleasant, Tenn., 1853-1859
~ From the Central Southern Railroad Company, constructed by that company, Columbia, Tenn., to Tennessee-Alabama State line; date construction commenced not known, completed in 1859
~ From The Tennessee and Alabama Central Rail Road Company, constructed by that company, Alabama-Tennessee State Line to M. & C. R. R. Junction, near Decatur, Ala., 1859-1860
Acquired by construction:
~ Athens to Decatur Junction, Ala., 1912-1913 12
~ Tennessee-Alabama State line to Athens, Ala., 1911-1914
Less sales and abandonments:
~ Sale; Columbia to Mount Pleasant, Tenn., 1883, previously acquired by consolidation from the Tennessee and Alabama Rail Road Company
~ Abandonment, Athens, Ala., to M. & C. R. R. Junction near Decatur, Ala., 1913
Total recorded mileage 133