Valley Railway Company stock certificate 1890's
Impressive vignette of a steam train exiting a tunnel with factory and sailing ship scenes in the background. Unissued and not cancelled. Dated 189_.
The Valley Railway Company was incorporated on August 21, 1871 to build a line from Cleveland to reach the coal fields in southeastern Ohio. Construction began in 1873, but was suspended during the financial 'Panic' of 1874. Construction was resumed in 1878 and completed in 1882. It went south from Cleveland through Akron to Valley Junction, Ohio.
In January, 1890, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company acquired control of the company. At the same time the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company had purchased properties along the Cuyahoga River in downtown Cleveland to develop terminal facilities. A Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company subsidiary, the Cleveland Terminal & Valley Railroad Company, was incorporated in 1895 and it acquired the B&O terminal properties and the Valley Railway Company.
The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company assumed operation of the Cleveland Terminal & Valley Railroad Company in June 1909 but did not absorb the line until 1915. In 1934, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company transferred its passenger trains to the new Cleveland Union Terminal, located northeast of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company terminal.