- Dealers, Finance, Parts, Services, Tires, Trucking
- Splitdorf-Bethlehem Electrical Company 1925 (spark plugs, radios)
Splitdorf-Bethlehem Electrical Company stock certificate 1925
Nice automotive collectible from a rare early spark plug and auto part company. Issued and not cancelled. Dated 1925.
Splitdorf Electrical was incorporated in 1913 to sell to the quickly growing auto industry. Splitdorf-Bethlehem Electrical Co. of Newark, NJ was created by the 1924 merger of Splitdorf Electrical Co. and the Bethlehem Spark Plug Co. Henry Splitdorf was one of the first makers of telegraph instruments and some of them were used by Samuel Morse. He invented the Splitdorf ignition coil and other electrical "appliances." It was stated he was the first to use asbestos as an insulating material. He passed away October of 1916 at the age of 83. His son Charles, continued the business of the Splitdorf Electrical Company in Newark, N.J.
The Splitdorf Company made radios, magnetos, lighting systems, spark plugs and other electrical products. They had manufacturing operations in Newark N.J. and in Canada and produced radios throughout the 1920's. The company merged with the Thomas Edison Company in early 1930's. In addition, the Splitdorf Electrical Co. of Newark, New Jersey manufactured at least 12 different motorcycle generators from 1918 to 1931.
The Edison Company purchased the Splitdorf Radio Company on January 14, 1929, and Charles Edison was elected president. This was a way to get a leg up on the design of their first radio line and secure RCA and Hazeltine patent licenses. The patents were needed in order to legally manufacture and sell competitive radios at that time. The first line of Edison neutrodyne radios was introduced around March 1929. The name of the Phonograph Division was changed to the Radio-Phonograph Division in May 1929, with the national introduction of the line at the 1929 RMA Radio Show and Convention. The Company was renamed "Edison Radio."